Spreading love

Spreading love

Sunday, April 8, 2012

Sports Talk with MICHEL PRINCE



Michel Prince drops by to discuss her latest book at Rebel Ink Press, Chrysalis, which comes out on April 17.
KT: What’s your favorite sports to write about?
MP: I guess basketball because I have four books with basketball in them. It may just be because I spend almost every weekend from November to June in a gym watching it. I do really like writing football game scenes a lot too.
KT: You seem to know a lot about sports did you play or do you coach?
MP: I played volleyball from fourth grade through my sophomore year of college. I ran track from junior high through college and cross country just in college. And I hold coaching certificates in volleyball, football and track. Luckily, my husband is a student of the game and so I usually learn even more.
KT: Would you ever date any jocks like your character Oscar?
MP: Hell yes. He’s perfect in every way. Although I’d probably have an inferiority complex, but I love jocks there’s something about someone who truly commits to a sport.
KT: Chrysalis is a series, how many books have you already written?
MP: Four have been written. I do have a few other ideas but they would be from different characters perspectives.
KT: Is Chrysalis the first book you ever wrote? How long did it take to write it?
MP: Chrysalis is the first book. The first draft took three weeks. It’s the only book that truly poured out of me.
KT: Did you have to make changes to your book because of Paypal’s new rules?
MP: I changed the cover to make it more YA. If they push that other parts need to be changed I’d rather be on less vendors and keep my story true. Teenagers have sex. They touch each other. They explore. Removing those actions would bastardize the story.
KT: Are all the books you write in the YA genre?
MP: No. Chrysalis is actually a cross over series in that it the first two books are YA the third and fourth are adult. Also in July my Adult Paranormal Romance series The Frozen comes out.
KT: There are a lot of religious references in your book are they from research or experience?
MP: Both. I had to research a lot on the demon aspect of my book. Learning about Gaap and Lilith as well as the gods around the world.
KT: How do you react to a bad review?
MP: A pan of brownies. A lot of cussing. Then calm down and look at objectively.
KT: Are your character’s names difficult to come up with?
MP: The main characters names usually just come to me. I don’t know where Sharyn came from but originally it was spelled Sharon, but I figured I should change it because I have an in-law with that name.
KT: You have a character named Sharyn that’s pretty mean. Is she from experience or made up?
MP: Yes. Some of the things she’s said and done have been done to me and my spouse.
KT: What character that you’ve written do you want to punch the most?
MP: It should be Sharyn, but Jordan just has one of those faces you feel needs to be hit. Repeatedly and with much vigor.
KT: Have you ever seen yourself as a character in a book or movie?
MP: There’s a little of me in all my female characters.
KT: Is there any snobbery for your chosen genre?
MP: There is a little scoffing when you say Romance and everyone kids about YA, but with the success of the Twilight series people always hate. People connected with the books and that’s all that matters when it comes to writing.
Blurb  In the annals of dysfunctional families, the Chisholm’s are working their way to the top. Drug abuse, an unwed mother with multiple fathers, and the questionable cash flow for the 'pretty one'.   All this from a seemingly normal, two parent middle class family. But were the choices truly made of their free will?
Bad choices are a Chisholm family trait, one that confounds the youngest child, Ellie, who's trying to separate herself by making smart decisions. And falling for Oscar Jeffreys, the hottest guy at school, would be number one on the list of  Chisholm family disasters.  Yet the crazy part is it’s not a one sided attraction.  Somehow Ellie has caught Oscar Jeffreys’ eye.   Sure she could see the barriers between them.  Race, age, popularity.  They were at opposite ends of the spectrum.  But a demon set to destroy her family? She can't see that.  
Oscar provides security and acceptance Ellie never imagined she deserved.  As the passion of first love grows, Ellie honestly believes she has a chance to beat the odds and live a happy, normal life. Then her world collapses around her. With the help of a guardian angel, Ellie learns of a world that has unknowingly surrounded her for years.  And she'll have to find strength buried deep inside to save not only her future, but flush out and stop the demon in her midst.
And Ellie will have to learn that sometimes the hardest lesson about growing up is accepting that you're worth more.
Where to find Michel Prince: www.michelprincebooks.com

7 comments:

Lee Ann Sontheimer Murphy said...

Great interview - always love to learn more about an author!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful interview. Michel is one of my favorite YA authors. I can't wait to see her book in print. I'm counting down!

Melissa Keir said...

Great Interview! Thanks for sharing more about you!

K.T. Bishop said...

Thank you for dropping in!

Michel Prince said...

Thanks for having me K.T. it was fun

Sandy said...

Interesting interview. Michel, my favorite sport is basketball, too. I routed for the Jayhawks all through March Madness. Grin.

I liked your excerpt. Good luck with your series.

Michel Prince said...

Sandy you are a girl after my own heart I've been a Jayhawks fan since I was probably 4 years old. Rock Chalk Jayhawks. I actually got into KU but I got offered two athletic scholarships to another school and went with my sports.